US External Territories Travel Guide
The US External Territories comprise of 14 different places around the world that have historically been acquired, and held onto, by the United States of America (the US). All of these territories are located at idyllic locations in the tropics, so if sublime sandy beaches, warm clear blue seas, and superb whether is for you, the US External Territories is where you must go.
Mile after mile of golden sandy beaches awaits you here, at the more easily accessed and most popular US External Territories of American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. These are the most frequented destinations by tourists, who take the opportunity to absorb the tropical island paradises. There are plenty of diving and water sport activities here, as well as boating and fishing excursions.
Accommodation options are plentiful, and the hotels and resorts offered are of a high standard. Since these destinations are part of America, you will be treated to the same hospitality you would expect anywhere else in the US. Restaurants and dining options are varied, to suit all tastes. There are no foreign currency difficulties here to boot as US dollars are used for all purchases and transactions.
If you get tired of relaxing at the beach or spending your energy doing exhilarating marine activities, you can take it easy on dry land with a day at a golf course, a hike through the jungle, or time spent learning about indigenous culture or discovering more recent heritage by visiting WWII remnants and relics.
Getting to the US External Territories has never been easier. There are several direct flights to Puerto Rico from major US cities. There are fewer direct flights to the US Virgin Islands, but most people choose to travel via Puerto Rico, which is very close by. To get to American Samoa or Guam, the usual way is to connect with Honolulu in Hawaii. From Hawaii, there are direct flights to many major US cities. Once at your destination, getting around is easy if you take one of the many taxis for hire; or, if you prefer, you can rent your own vehicle at one of the many agencies that operate across American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands.
- Go diving at amazing locations in the Atlantic or Pacific oceans
- Relax at a gloriously sandy beach swathed in great tropical weather
- Take up deep-sea sports fishing
- Charter a yacht to experience the tranquility of the ocean
- Have an exhilarating day filled with jet-skiing, waterskiing and other water sports
- Perfect your swing with a spot of golf at one of the world-class courses in the US Virgin Islands
- Visit key battle sites of WWII in Guam
- Enjoy the pulsating rhythms of salsa music in the nightclubs of Puerto Rico
- Get entrenched in indigenous Pacific Island culture in American Samoa