Forming the southern tip of a string of Caribbean islands, Grenada is known as the “Spice Isle” and a major source of cinnamon, cocoa, ginger, and the world’s largest exporter of nutmeg. It encompasses three main islands: Grenada (the largest), Carriacou and Petite Martinique, and smallest of the Grenadines. With tempting blue seas and an enticing tropical climate, Grenada’s laidback lifestyle and unique nature make it a popular vacation destination.
If water sports are your preference, you will not be disappointed by the crystal clear seas and classic, pristine sandy shores of Grenada. The country is renowned for its diving and snorkeling, and contains many famous dive sites including reefs and wrecks. Trips can be easily arranged, and transfers off the island of Carriacou are provided. Chartering a yacht to explore the smaller islands of the Grenadines for a few days is another great option.
Ecotourism is popular here, and the chance to watch 600 leatherback turtles migrate to Levera Beach to lay their eggs is not to be missed April through July. To preserve conservation of the area, visits are only allowed through a licensed tour operator, but all providers guaranteed an up-close encounter.
All inclusive eco-lodges nestled among the secluded yet accessible bays provide a tranquil stay on the islands, within easy reach of natural attractions. Closer to the main strip of restaurants and nightlife, you will find a good choice of quality accommodations for all budgets near the popular beaches.
The main gateway to Grenada is Maurice Bishop International Airport (GND), located in the capital, St George’s. Many of the airlines that fly here serve Miami and New York. From here, there is a limited connection to Carriacou Island, or for a more leisurely journey, a scheduled ferry service connects the three main islands. Rental cars are readily available for getting around; otherwise, taxis and water taxis are other popular transportation options.
- Gaze in amazement as the leatherback turtles climb ashore to lay their eggs in the sand, watch them hatch and see the baby turtles instinctively scurry back into the ocean
- Submerge yourself in the clear Caribbean waters and take advantage of Grenada’s famous dive sites
- Soak up the sunshine and tranquility on the inviting, pearly white beaches at the quiet Carriacou Island
- Lean back and admire the sun as you sip a rum cocktail on the beach alongside the easy-going locals
- Adore the glowing Caribbean evenings as you sample local cuisine and hospitality in the nation’s capital, St George’s
- Romance in the air? Plenty of wedding packages are available at idyllic beaches across Grenada