St. Kitts and Nevis — Overview
St Kitts and Nevis is an independent nation consisting of two islands in the Caribbean Sea. With year round temperatures averaging 80°F, and the surrounding waters of the Caribbean also warm, a visit here is close to paradise. Many visitors come to take advantage of the tropical beach lifestyle, although St Kitts and Nevis provides more since it was one of the first places to be settled by Europeans, giving the country a rich history.
Water sports activities such as diving are popular here. This is due to the perfect conditions for scuba diving, but also because St Kitts and Nevis contains twenty globally recognized top dive sites, from reef to wrecks. Taking advantage of the trade winds that serve to cool the islands, sailing and boating are also popular in St Kitts and Nevis, and it is possible to charter a yacht. Nature lovers will not be disappointed with a hike up Mount Liamuiga or birding tour around the islands.
St Kitts and Nevis provides extremely high standards of accommodation. The southern peninsula provides resort style hotels, with all the benefits of fully inclusive stays for vacation makers. This area is popular, although there a good hotels all over the rest of St Kitts, particularly around the coast. The island of Nevis certainly does not disappoint either, and you will also find upmarket hotels here.
Aside from energetic activities such as diving and hiking, St Kitts is also a good place for a more leisurely outlook, playing a round or two of golf in one of the international standard 18-hole golf courses. A visit to the UNESCO World Heritage site of Brimstone Fortress is also worthwhile to discover more about the rich history and culture of the country and the Caribbean island region.
St Kitts’ main airport is located in the country’s capital city of Basseterre, which has direct routes to USA, Canada, and UK. The island of Nevis also has an airport, about a 15-minute flight from Basseterre. Both islands have an excellent road network, so renting a car is a good way to get around. Although it will not take you more than a day to get the whole way round each island. There is a regular car ferry service connecting the two islands, a journey taking fifteen minutes.
- Take the opportunity to get underwater at some of the best dive sites in the world
- Ride the famous St Kitts Scenic Railway through historical sugar plantations
- Take in the cloud forests on a nature hike up Mount Liamuiga
- Understand more about the importance of St Kitts and Nevis during colonial times at Brimstone Hill Fortress
- Relax at the beach on the southern peninsula
- Go birding around the shoreline and within the country’s interior
- Perfect your swing with a trip to one of the island’s top golf courses
- Romance in the air? The tropical islands of St Kitts and Nevis make an unforgettable wedding destination