Travel off the beaten path on this extraordinary expedition to Mongolia. Begin in Beijing with a gondola trip to a less-visited section of the Great Wall followed by a walk with a private guide along the Sacred Way to the extraordinary Ming tombs. Then depart for the hinterlands of Mongolia, exploring Gorkhi-Terelj National Park by vehicle or on horseback and learn the art of building the traditional nomadic ger, a circular felt tent. Enjoy exclusive access at the opening ceremonies of the ancient Naadam Festival - with its magnificent displays of pageantry, followed by horse races, archery contests and traditional Mongolian wrestling. The Gobi Desert covers nearly a third of the country; spend two nights in a comfortable ger as you explore the unique scenery of the desert and take a private guided tour of the “cemetery of the dinosaurs.”
DAYS 1 - 3
Arrive in Beijing on Day 2 and explore the wondrous historical sites of China’s capital. Travel outside the city to visit the extraordinary Ming Tombs, housing 13 emperors of the Ming Dynasty, and the magnificent Great Wall, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
St. Regis Hotel, Beijing
DAYS 4 & 5
Ulaan Baatar Gorkhi-Terelj National Park, Mongolia
Travel north to explore the varied terrain of Gorkhi-Terelj National Park. Search for brown bears along the Tuul River, and learn the art of building a traditionalger - a comfortable circular felt tent.
Ulaan Baatar Hotel, Ulaan Baatar; Ger Camp, Gorkhi-Terelj National Park
DAYS 6 & 7
Visit the Winter Palace of Bogd Khaan and the Natural History Museum where you’ll discover two complete dinosaur skeletons. Experience Naadam - the largest festival of the year - with its magnificent displays of athletics and pageantry.
Ulaan Baatar Hotel, Ulaan Baatar
DAYS 8 & 9
Gobi Desert Flaming Cliffs
Absorb the beauty of the Gobi Desert which covers almost 30 percent of Mongolia. Explore the “cemetery of dinosaurs” and discover a splendid oasis in the hidden Yol Valley.
Three Camel Lodge, Gobi Desert
DAYS 10 - 12
Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia Beijing, China
Return to Ulaan Baatar to see the Zaisan Memorial, a tall landmark offering wonderful views of Ulaan Baatar and the surrounding landscape. Spend your last night at the luxurious St. Regis Hotel in Beijing. On Day 12 you will be transferred to the airport for your return flight home or on to your next destination.
Ulaan Baatar Hotel, Ulaan Baatar; St. Regis Hotel, Beijing
July 4, 2012
From $5,895.00 per person double occupancy.
From $1,075.00 single room supplement.
- Deluxe rooms in the best available hotels
- Three meals per day, including our unique Dine-Around program that lets you enjoy any restaurant you choose with à la carte dining, or relax with room service when available*
- A professional Travel Director as your personal concierge
- Local sightseeing with professional English-speaking guides with unparalleled knowledge, including entrance fees for places visited
- Active participation and up-close encounters to experience the cultures of your journey
- Bottled water, soft drinks, coffee and tea included with meals; bottled water during sightseeing excursions
- All gratuities to hotel and restaurant staff and local guides and drivers
- Group or individual airport transfers on arrival and departure flights
- TheTravcoAssist Travel Protection Plan, including emergency medical evacuation insurance coverage for injury or illness, and 24-hour Worldwide Live Travel Assistance through Travel Guard Assistance
*Due to remote or undeveloped locations on some journeys, accommodations may not always meet Western standards. Dine-Around opportunities will be limited in remote or unsecured locations.
All prices are in US dollars and do not include international airfare, unless otherwise noted.
Prices displayed are based on the lowest season base price and assume double occupancy. Prices are shown in U.S. dollars and may or may not include administrative fees, taxes, meals, airfare (where applicable) and Single Supplements. Cancellation penalties, blackout dates and other restrictions may apply.