Recommended Whitewater Rafting Books
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Canoeing and Kayaking by Dennis Stuhaug
- You know who you are and you know why you like this book: it’s easy to read, details are clear and concise, and you know you won’t feel so much like an idiot after reading it.
- Canyon Solitude: A Woman’s Solo River Journey Through the Grand Canyon by Patricia McCairen.
- One woman’s memoir of a 25-day solo journey down one of America’s greatest rivers and landscapes.
- The Guide’s Guide Augmented: Reflections on Guiding Professional River Trips by William McGinnis.
- Everything you could ever want to know about being a rafting guide.
- Paddler Magazine (http://www.paddlermagazine.com)
- Apart from an annual touring issue, there are loads of articles from seasoned writers on kayaking and rafting trips, events, gear, news, maps, tests, and guides.
- Wavelength Magazine (http://www.wavelengthmagazine.com).
- British Columbia based glossy magazine with a useful website Articles focus on gear, journeys, trip photos, race information and results, and news.
- Whitewater Rafting by Graeme Addison
- A basic introduction to whitewater rafting.
- Whitewater Rafting Manual: Tactics and Techniques for Great River Adventures by Jimmie Johnson
- Basic information on the technical aspects of whitewater sports.
- Whitewater Rescue Manual: New Techniques for Canoeists, Kayakers, and Rafters by Charles Walbridge and Wayne A. Sundmacher
- A must read for any whitewater enthusiast. Safety tips and detailed descriptions of what to do in a rescue and emergency situation.
Useful Whitewater Rafting Websites
- Paddling Life (http://www.paddlinglife.net)
- One of the most important ezines on paddling, sea kayaking and whitewater rafting. Contains tons of features, back articles, videos, message boards, guides and contests.
- The Kayaking Journal (http://www.kayakingjournal.com)
- Information on sea and whitewater kayaking. There are gear reviews, a bookstore, tour details, club links, and a newsletter.
- Raft Info (http://www.raftinfo.com)
- Trip planning, river reports, and videos from a collection of tour operators spread out across the Americas.
- Wet Dawg (http://www.wetdawg.com)
- An e-zine focusing on various water sports including rafting and kayaking. Videos, forums, clubs, interviews, and other features are included.
- American Whitewater (http://www.americanwhitewater.org)
- Organization that helps clean up America’s rivers, imporves land management, and protects public access to rivers for recreational use.
- National Rivers (http://www.nationalrivers.org)
- This site is geared toward paddling and activities on rivers, but there is also some good information and links on other activities as well.
- Paddlesports Industry Association (http://www.paddlesportsindustry.org)
- Organization dedicated to promoting safe, clean, and ethical canoeing, kayaking, and rafting. Search engine for finding paddling outfitters and retailers and basic background details on the sport.
- Raft Wet (http://www.raftwet.com)
- This is the home page of a California rafting operator, but has lots of extra unbiased data that cannot be ignored. A great deal of information, photos, links, tour information, maps and resources for paddlers.
- Raft Nepal (http://www.raftnepal.org)
- Online guide to the whitewater and adventure sporting in the Himalayas. A non-profit site.
- Whitewater Junkies (http://www.whitewaterjunkies.bravehost.com)
- Kiwi site with flow and rainfall rates for places in New Zealand.