Further Sea Kayaking Travel Information
Recommended Sea Kayaking Books
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Canoeing and Kayaking by Dennis Stuhaug
- You know who you are and you know why you like this book: it’s easy to read, details are clear and concise, and you know you won’t feel so much like an idiot after reading it.
- Canoe and Kayak Magazine (http://www.canoekayak.com)
- Apart from an annual touring issue, there are loads of articles from seasoned writers on kayaking trips, events, gear, news, maps, tests, and guides.
- The Complete Kayak Fisherman by Eric Burnley
- General details on how to turn your kayak your new fishing boat.
- The Essential Sea Kayaker by David Seidman
- Complete manual for everything you ever wanted to know about touring and sea kayaking.
- Kayak Fitness: The Fusion of Sport and Exercise by Jamie McDonough, Anna Levesque, Andrew Holcombe, and Jamie McDonough
- Using your kayak as a fitness tool comes naturally. Here is how to get the most out of your workout.
- Kayaking Made Easy, 3rd: A Manual for Beginners with Tips for the Experienced by Dennis Stuhaug
- An excellent kayaking beginner’s handbook. Great range of detail with easy to read technical information, tips, and equipment descriptions.
- Keep Australia On Your Left: A True Story of an Attempt to Circumnavigate Australia by Kayak by Eric Stiller
- One man’s memoir of kayaking around Australia.
- The Only Kayak: A Journey into the Heart of Alaska by Kim Heacox
- One man’s account of 25 years of experience paddling in Glacier Bay, Alaska.
- Wavelength Magazine (http://www.wavelengthmagazine.com).
- British Columbia based glossy magazine with a useful website Articles focus on gear, journeys, trip photos, race information and results, and news.
Useful Sea Kayaking Websites
- Canoekayak.com (http://www.canoekayak.com)
- The home page of one of the most important magazines for the sport has interactive features, back articles, videos, message boards, guides, and contests.
- The Kayaking Journal (http://www.kayakingjournal.com)
- Information on sea and whitewater kayaking. There are gear reviews, a bookstore, tour details, club links, and a newsletter.
- Kayaking Today (http://www.kayakingtoday.com)
- Complete and update information on kayaking. The site offers guides, instructions to build your own boat, news, links to blog, and much more.
- Australian Canoeing Online (http://www.canoe.org.au)
- This site explores canoeing and kayaking in the Land Down Under.
- National Rivers (http://www.nationalrivers.org)
- This site is geared toward paddling and activities on rivers, but there is also some good information and links on sea kayaking.
- Oregon Ocean Paddling Society (http://www.oops.org)
- This Portland, Oregon based sea kayaking club conducts regular paddling trips, has social events, online forums, and background information on whitewater kayaking in the Pacific Northwest.
- Paddlesports Industry Association (http://www.paddlesportsindustry.org)
- Organization dedicated to promoting safe, clean, and ethical canoeing, kayaking, and rafting. Search engine for finding paddling outfitters and retailers and basic background details on the sport.
- Kayaksurf Portugal (http://www.kayaksurf.net)
- Portuguese site dedicated to the little known sport of kayaksurfing with photos, links, and interviews.
- Paddlelog.com (http://www.paddlelog.com)
- A London based Seakayaker’s blog includes images, trip reports and general background details.