Further Safari Travel Information
Recommended Safari Books
- Frommer’s South Africa
- A good book for travelers above the budget level including information on safaris, the top game lodges and tips from professional trackers. Also includes details of Cape Town, the nearby wine lands and other activities like whale watching and rafting.
- Lonely Planet Watching Wildlife by David Andrew
- This guide will help you find, identify and understand wildlife. There are pictures to help you distinguish different animals, maps to tell you where they are found and information on planning, itineraries and equipment.
- Fodor’s African Safari, 1st Edition: From Budget to Big Spending Where and How to Find the Best Big Game Adventure In Southern and Eastern Africa
- An overview of the different countries, the game you can see, tourist and weather seasons and differences between the types of safaris.
- Whatever You Do, Don’t Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide by Peter Allison
- An enjoyable tale about Allison’s close encounters with charging lions, angry elephants and the world’s most unpredictable animals, the untamed tourist.
- The Safari Companion: A Guide to Watching African Mammals Including Hoofed Mammals, Carnivores, and Primates by Richard D. Estes
- Gives practical advice on how to observe animals, including tips on using binoculars and photographic equipment. Learn about the characteristics of families and subfamilies of species and behaviors of individual species.
- North American Wildlife by David Jones
- The struggles and strategies of North America’s wildlife to endure human encroachment, changing climates and increased pollution are chronicled here in writing and photographs.
- The Complete Guide to Antarctic Wildlife: Birds and Marine Mammals of the Antarctic Continent and the Southern Ocean by Hadoram Shirihai
- Details on identifying all sorts of animals and identifying where they can be found at various times of year. Also details on geology, climate, history and botany.
- Watching Wildlife: Australia by Jane Bennett
- One of the only books of its kind to find, identify and understand Australian wildlife. Points out the parks and spotting points where it’s possible to see a good cross-section of unique wildlife.
Useful Safari Websites
- South African Tourism Board (http://www.southafrica.net)
- Very useful site about visiting South Africa for locals, business and tourist travelers.
- Wildlife Tourism (http://www.wildlifetourism.org.au)
- Details where to find wildlife around Australia, Tourism Services and Wildlife trails.
- Wildlife Extra (http://www.wildlifeextra.com)
- Online wildlife magazine for people who like watching, conserving, photographing and hearing about wildlife. Read about nature reserves and national parks wildlife hotspots and conservation jobs.
- African Wildlife Guide (http://www.africanwildlifeguide.com)
- Virtual home for all African wildlife fans. There’s a species guide cataloging as many animals as possible, photo essays and wildlife articles.