Choosing the Right Safari Vacation
Safari Tour Operators
- Zambezi Safari and Travel Co. Ltd (http://www.zambezi.co.uk, Tel. + 44 1548 830059)
- Specialized tour agents working in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana and Namibia. The site is very useful with tips for original safaris.
- Travel Hemispheres (http://www.travelhemispheres.com, Tel. + 256 772 571698)
- If you like the primates this is a good choice. This indigenous company from Uganda does gorilla, chimpanzee and birding safaris. And also flying safaris and honeymoon packages.
- Wildlife Travel (http://www.wildlife-travel.co.uk, Tel. + 44 01954 713575)
- A real eco travelers choice as all profits from these expeditions are donated to The Wildlife Trusts.
- Wildlife Worldwide (http://www.wildlifeworldwide.com, Tel. + 44 1962 737630)
- You’re in good hands with the experts that make up this team, leading safaris into Africa, India, Antarctica and many other places offering educational natural history adventures.
- Indian Wildlife Tours (http://www.indianwildlifetours.com, Tel. + 91 11 26510876)
- Wildlife tours to the sanctuaries, reserves, forests and resorts across India with the chance to see Indian lions, tigers, leopards and elephant.
- Iberian Wildlife (http://www.iberianwildlife.com, Tel. +34 942 735154)
- Butterflies, dragonflies, birds and birding in Spain.
- Windows on the Wild (http://www.windowsonthewild.com, Tel. + 44 020 8742 1556)
- Worldwide wildlife trips including polar-bear trips and whale-watching, active options like dog-sledding in the Yukon and canoeing in British Columbia, self-guided fly-drive trips, and small-ship cruises.
There are plenty of ways you can conduct your own wildlife safari. National Parks often have walking trails or animal viewing platforms that you can encounter animals from. Lakes, rivers and waterways close to home will also contain a lot of wildlife if you get out on a canoe or boat.
Doing it yourself won’t mean you won’t see the more exotic species. In the Australian outback you’re guaranteed sightings of brumbies, emu, kangaroo, buffalo, snakes, spiders and dingoes. In Alaska or Canada most hikes will take you into the domain of bears, wolves and moose. It is also possible to do hikes or mountain biking through wildlife reserves in Africa.
If you’re not familiar with the behaviors of wild animals and are venturing out alone be cautious. Animals do not like being surprised or cornered and you would be wise to steer well clear of them while also getting a look. In some parts of the world protection like guns or knives is advisable.
If you opt for a self-drive safari you should have a good mechanical knowledge in case you get a breakdown in the middle of nowhere. Damage from bumpy and rutted roads can be costly on rentals, so check insurance is offered for off-roading. The driver will also need to concentrate on the road so take a partner or two for looking out for wildlife.