Suggested Tour Operators
- SWT Tours (http://www.poshnosh.com, Tel. + 1 917 880 6732)
- Focuses on trips for 50+ women with a passion for travel. There are literary tours, lifestyle tours and culinary trips.
- Seniors Holiday Travel (http://www.seniorsholidaytravel.com.au, Tel. + 61 7 3211 8599)
- International and domestic travel routes for Seniors including cruises throughout the Pacific, heli hiking in Canada and European tours.
- Eldertreks (http://www.eldertreks.com, Tel. + 1 (800) 741 7956)
- An adventure travel company for the over 50s that offers active, off-the-beaten-path trips such as a wildlife safari in Tanzania, the ruins of Angkor Wat or even the Antarctic Peninsula.
- Walking the World (http://www.walkingtheworld.com, Tel. + 1 970 498 0500)
- An American walking company for the Boomer Generation to North and Latin America.
- 50plus Expeditions (http://www.50plusexpeditions.com, Tel. + 1 (866) 318 5050)
- Organize small adventure trips for those that don’t like group tours to some of the world’s most exotic destinations. These are all adventure locations like the Arctic and Antarctica, Africa and Asia.
- Horizon & Co (http://www.horizon-co.com, Tel. + 1 800 387 2977)
- Escorted Senior and small group tours for mature travelers worldwide on driving, culinary, cruising and adventure vacations.
If you’ve already undertaken a few organized trips you may have befriended other seniors with whom you can travel. Or you might be able to persuade a formerly reluctant spouse to join you on the next journey based on all the exciting photographs and details you regale them with. You will probably have built up some confidence as well to consider a do-it-yourself option.
Some of the best choices in this regard are driving vacations. The beauty of these vacations are that you can travel as far as you like each day and if you’re driving an RV or pulling a caravan, you have a home on wheels with the same bed to sleep in and all the comforts of home in there.
Bush walking or hiking is another easy vacation to arrange yourself. Many national parks offer camping sites but there may be cabins or B&Bs in close proximity too. You could easily take in a trail each day and return to the hot bath or restaurant at night to relax. In any of these trips schedule yourself plenty of time to relax each day.