Recommended Horseback Riding Books
- 100 Ways to Improve Your Riding: Common Faults & How to Cure Them by Susan McBane
- A great read even for the expert. Learn to ride more efficiently and cure many of the common missteps riders have.
- Horse & Rider
- One of the best known publications on horses and riding in the world. Handling secrets from the pros, tips, features, interviews, event listings, columns from experts, and much more.
- Horseback Riding For Dummies by Audrey Pavia and Shannon Sand
- This basic guide answers the questions that you are too embarrassed to ask. All around background guide to horseback riding without getting overly complicated.
- How to Think Like A Horse: The Essential Handbook for Understanding Why Horses Do What They Do by Cherry Hill
- This guide takes you inside the mind of a horse by breaking down a horse’s cognitive responses and human reactions to them. Demonstrates the correct ways to train and ride best for both you and the horse.
- How Your Horse Wants You to Ride: Starting Out, Starting Over by Gincy Self Bucklin
- This breakthrough guide helps you learn to ride correctly, safely, and confidently, as well as brush up on your skills.
- Judy Richter’s Riding for Kids: Stable Care, Equipment, Tack, Clothing, Longeing, Lessons, Jumping, Showing by Judy Richter
- Excellent guide relating to riding and horse care for children. It’s a great teaching tool as well.
- The National Outdoor Leadership School’s Wilderness Guide: The Classic Handbook, Revised and Updated by Mark Harvey
- Everything you need to know guide about leaving no footprints, surviving on your own, what to do in emergencies, what to wear, and how to navigate. An all in one survival guide.
- NOLS’s Wilderness First Aid Book by Todd Schimelpfenig, Linda Lindsey, and Joan Safford
- Comprehensive guide to diagnosing, treating, and transporting patients with 75 illustrations.
- Practical Horseman
- The self proclaimed number one resource for the English rider.
Useful Horseback Riding Websites
- Bridlepath (http://www.bridlepath.wordpress.com)
- Blogging about the world of horses via news reports, photos, gear reviews, and other equine related details.
- Equisearch (http://www.equisearch.com)
- Wide variety of online content on equestrian training, horses, and riding with a well designed, easy to read layout. From the publisher of many horse magazines including Horse & Rider.
- Riding Tours Blog (http://www.ridingtoursblog.com)
- Great blog for planning your next equestrian vacataion. Gathers information on tours to help each traveler find the most suitable trip.
- The Trail Database (http://www.traildatabase.org)
- The world’s largest trail database with details and links to all sorts of information on hiking and trekking routes, which often apply to horseback riding. A good place to start planning your trip.
- Arabian Horse Society of Australia (http://www.ahsa.asn.au)
- General background on Arabian horses with a specific focus on Australia with event listings, shows and activities, and an online marketplace.
- Australian Horse Industries Council (http://www.horsecouncil.org.au)
- Aussie organization with forums, news, disease control, tips, event listings, and activities.
- The Dude Ranchers’ Association (http://www.duderanch.org)
- The official website for dude ranching in North America with links to more than 100 ranches, news, employment, links, and meber services.