Further Expedition Cruises Travel Information
Recommended Expedition Cruising Books
Do note most expedition ships actually have onboard libraries with books, dvds and tapes.
- Arctic Dreams, by Barry Lopez
- Based on 15 extended trips to the Canadian far north over a five-year period celebrating this last frontier of narwhals, polar bears, beluga whales, musk oxen and caribou.
- I may be some time: ice and the English Imagination, by Francis Spufford
- Explores the British obsession with the world’s coldest and bleakest climes giving some historical background about early polar explorations.
- Expedition Cruising: Tierra del Fuego, Antarctica, The Falkland Islands by Marine Expeditions Inc
- The Unofficial Guide to Cruises, by Kay Showker and Bob Sehlinger
- A good bet if you are interested in expedition cruising, freighter cruising or conventional cruise ships.
- The Coldest March: Scott’s Fatal Antarctic Expedition by Susan Solomon
- Susan approaches Scott’s fated expedition from a meteorologist’s point of view, describing how once-in-a-decade phenomena made conditions far colder than normal. In each chapter are comments from a hypothetical modern visitor to Antarctica.
- South: The Last Antarctic Expedition of Shackleton and the Endurance by Sir Ernest Shackleton and Tim Cahill
- A first-person account of the Endurance crew’s famed odyssey across the frozen Antarctica.
- Frommer’s Alaska 2007 (Frommer’s Complete) by Charles P. Wohlforth
- A handy guide for the travel adventurer in Alaska.
- Cruising Ports: Florida to California via Panama by Capt. John E. Rains and Capt. Patricia Miller Rains
- The Rains’ share their wealth of local knowledge about boat preparation, new marinas, fuel docks and anchorages.
- World of the Polar Bear by Norbert Rosing
- German photographer Rosing’s collection of stunning images follows polar bears through four seasons in their arctic habitat.
- Lonely Planet Watching Wildlife Galapagos Islands by David Andrew
- A wildlife guide divided by islands but with sections about the types of mammals, fish, birds, and reptiles for further, in-depth review. Contains hands on advice about nesting areas, sea lion hangouts and the best geological landmarks.
Useful Expedition Cruising Websites
- Cruise Passenger Magazine (http://www.monolith.com.au/expedition-cruising.html)
- Highlights destinations and reviews current happenings in the expedition market
- Expedition Blogspot (http://expeditioncruising.blogspot.com)
- Latest information on expedition destinations.
- Cruise Critic (http://www.cruisecritic.com/cruisestyles/articles.cfm?ID=338)
- Identifies fun facts about expedition cruising plus highlights the best destinations.