Recommending Biking/Cycling Books
- A Bike Ride: 12, 000 Miles Around the World by Anne Mustoe
- One woman’s travel adventures from here 12,000 mile journey circling the globe on her bike.
- Adventure Cycle-touring Handbook: Worldwide Cycling Route and Planning Guide by Stephen Lord
- Useful guide to help determine where you want your next cycling adventure to take place and how to do it.
- Bicycling in Africa by David Mozer
- A general run through of Africa specific cycling information.
- The Complete Guide To Europe By Bicycle by Anthony Lambert.
- Published in 2006, this is one of the most complete guides for bicycling in Europe.
- Cycling Australia by Ian Duckworth
- Everything you need to know about cycling in the Land Down Under.
- The Cyclist’s Training Manual: Fitness and Skills for Every Rider by Guy Andrews and Simon Doughty
- Workout routines and biking fitness for the serious cyclist
- French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour De France by Tim Moore
- Funny tale of a couch potato who attempts to ride the length of the Tour de France.
- It’s Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Lance Armstrong
- Detailed memoir of Lance Armstrong’s road to recovery from cancer and coming back to win the Tour de France.
- Latin America by Bike by Walter Sienko
- General info and country by country cycling details across Central and South America.
- Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance by Lennard Zinn
- Manual of how to care, repair, and build your bike that manages to be entertaining and lively.
Useful Biking/Cycling Websites
- Bicycle Touring 101 (http://www.bicycletouring101.com)
- Introductory resource for those considering bicycle touring.
- International Bicycling Fund (http://www.ibike.org)
- Messy site, but has loads of data and links on cycling, organizations, races, events, fundraising, Bike-A-Thons, and much more.
- Travel With Bicycles (http://www.bikeaccess.net)
- How-to info on taking a bike on planes and trains anywhere on the globe.
- TierraWiki (http://www.tierrawiki.org)
- Wiki-style project to share bike, hiking, skiing, and running routes.
- Veloroutes (http://www.veloroutes.org)
- Tools for creating cycling routes and maps, as well as sharing with others and a useful forum.
- Bed, Breakfast, and Biking (http://www.bbbiking.com)
- Guide to biking routes in the US and Canada, with details on inns and B&B’s to stay during your trip.
- Intrepid Challenges (http://www.intrepidchallenges.com)
- Great information on how to prepare for a bike tour in Asia.
- Bicycling Australia (http://www.bicyclingaustralia.com)
- Home page of Australian biking magazine with event listings, route maps, and forums.
- Sydney Cycling Club (http://www.sydneycyclingclub.org.au)
- Local Members-only bike organization.
- Le Tour (http://www.letour.fr)
- Official web page of the Tour de France and includes route maps.
- Rolling Across Europa (http://www.englicious.com)
- Personal travelogue of one man’s 2006 cycling trip across Europe with tips and observations.
- CTC (http://www.ctc.org.uk)
- The UK’s national cycling organization. Useful website has a getting started section, gear advice, message board, photos, and maps.