Nothing clears the head like the clear air and sheer exhilaration of this extraordinary country. A place where you can be skiing or snowboarding down a pristine slope and the next swooping, whooping and yelling at 10,000 feet under your tandem skydiving instructor. One day you can be mountain biking through a forest trail and the next sailing through breathtakingly beautiful waters. This country is indeed the land of the outdoors and adventure.
There’s something for every thrill level – from family friendly to extreme. When you plan your New Zealand adventure, make sure you have included some of these experiences in your itinerary.
North Island’s Top 5
- Trek around edges of old lava flows and see green crater lakes at Tongariro Crossing, a spectacular day hike that Lord of the Rings fans know as “Mt Doom.”
- Body board down the massive Te Paki Sand Dunes by 90 Mile Beach in Northland at thrilling speeds.
- Feel the power of the water as you jet-boat a vivid blue New Zealand river close to the thundering Huka Falls in Taupo.
- Go Black Water Rafting in Waitomo, home to a labyrinth of subterranean caves, underwater rivers, and millions of glow worms.
- Swim with dolphins in the Bay of Islands, among 144 spectacular islands with pristine beaches and sparkling secluded bays.
South Island’s Top 6
- Get the adrenaline pumping in beautiful Queenstown. From sky diving and bungee jumping to rafting and jet boating, the options are endless.
- Kayak turquoise waters in Abel Tasman National Park along white sand beaches, granite rock formations, and native forest.
- Hike through brilliantly blue ice formations on the west coast’s awe-inspiring glaciers of Franz Josef or Fox Glacier.
- Spot magnificent sperm whales breaching up close and personal in Kaikoura, set against the dramatic backdrop of rugged snowy mountains and leaping dolphins.
- Cruise, kayak or sleep under the stars in stunning Fiordland. Be mesmerized by the dramatic fiords, spectacular waterfalls and snow-capped peaks that surround you.
- Milford Sound is a place of enchantment that will stun you with its dramatic splendor. The journey itself is a scene stealing revelation. Visit the underwater observatory and marvel at the black coral and 11-legged sea stars.