- Ancient Civilizations: World Heritage Sites by Marco Cattaneo and Jasmina Trifo
- Photos, facts, and figures detail UNESCO’s world heritage sites.
- Archeology Journal (http://www.ajaonline.org)
- The Journal of the Archaeological Institute of America has regular features, articles, book reviews and excavation reports.
- Conquest of the Incas by John Hemming
- A detailed history of the Conquest of the Incas in South America by the Spanish as told through historical reports and documents.
- National Geographic Magazine
- The most in depth studies and reports by the world’s leading scientist make this classic magazine a great read for the historian of every level. Excellent photos, maps and recreations of the ancient world and stats of research finds are just a part of what you will find.
- Oxford Journal of Archaeology
- Journal of European and Mediterranean archaeology from the University of Oxford.
- Rick Steves’ Europe 101: History and Art for the Traveler by Rick Steves and Gene Openshaw
- European travel guru puts all of European history and travel to monuments in simple terms for the traveler.
- Traveller’s Guides to the Battles and Battlefields of WWII by Interlink Books
- Collection of guidebooks to major battles and battlefields, memorials, sites, cemeteries of WWII.
- Traveller’s History by Interlink Books
- Various authors write Interlink’s series of books on the history of different countries aimed at travelers.
- The White Rock by Hugh Thomson
- This fascinating and well written chronicle of a British explorer’s search for lost Inca ruins and visiting others in the wilds of the Andes.
- Archaeology (http://www.archaeology.org)
- Website of the Archaeological Institute of America with online features, news, reports, and blogs.
- Archaeology Online (http://www.archaeology.blogspot.com)
- Archaeological website and blog that details excavations, field schools, books, reviews, and where to find archaeology on the Web.
- Archaeological Resource (http://www.archaeologicalresource.com)
- French-English and German-English dictionaries for archaeologists.
- Earthworks (http://www.earthworks-jobs.com)
- On-line database of jobs, fieldwork, and career opportunities for archaeologists and related professions.
- The Institute of Field Archaeologists (http://www.archaeologists.net)
- Website with loads of information and links for archaeologists and students.
- New 7 Wonders (http://www.new7wonders.com)
- Homepage of the New 7 wonders contest which enabled voters around the world in 2007 to choose which seven monuments around the world would make the list.
- The Smithsonian Magazine (http://www.smithsonianmag.com)
- Articles from the Smithsonian Institution’s monthly magazine, plus Web articles, videos, blogs, and photos.
- UNESCO (http://www.unesco.org)
- Website of the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization which helps protects many of the world’s ancient and historical sites.
- South American Explorer’s Club (http://www.saexplorers.org)
- Excellent non-profit organization dedicated to promoting safe and eco-friendly travel in Latin America. Loads of resources from clubhouses around the continent, trip reports, a magazine, book exchanges, and online databases and forums.
- Egyptology (http://www.egyptology.com)
- Website dedicated to examining the art, archaeology, religion, and history of Egypt.
- Southeast Asian Archeology Newsblog (http://www.southeastasianarchaeology.com)
- This comprehensive Southeast Asian Archeology site details news via blogs and features on research, studies, and digs in Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Myanmar, Indonesia.
- European Association of Archaeologists (http://www.e-a-a.org)
- Organization of European archaeologists with a journal, awards, conferences, and news.
- Click here for Top 10 Archaeology Vacations - Overall