Book Your Hotel:
Nestled on four acres at American Lake and dotted with old growth fir trees is Thornewood Castle. Built in 1911 by Chester A. Thorne, this 27,000 square foot manor is of the Gothic Tudor style and is the only one of its kind on the west coast. Built as a single family residence, Thornewood is now a gracious country inn that has been lovingly restored. Stephen King's "Rose Red" mini series was filmed here, as well as the move "Dairy of Ellen Rimbauer, My Life at Rose Red". We have lots of interesting stuff about the movies. Presidents William Howard Taft and Theodore Roosevelt spent the night in our presidential suite. Roam the grounds and lovely 1/2 acre sunken English perennial garden, swim, fish, or boat on the beautiful American Lake. Medieval stained glass window insets adorn the manor as well as antique furniture and paintings. Whatever your choices, your stay with us will be a special memory.
Location DescriptionAn English Gothic Tudor style manor on American Lake.
- Express Checkout
- Free Parking
- Free Transportation
- Health Club
- Horseback Riding
- Guest Laundromat
- Meeting/Banquet Facilities
- Free Newspaper
- Recreational Vehicle Parking
- Racquetball Courts
- Scuba Diving
- Fitness Center or Spa
- Theater Desk
- Rose Red Suite
- This room features a cherry king-size bed, Jacuzzi tub and hand shower, marble fireplace, beautiful 16-century stained glass windows, bay window with sunken garden view, and original ornate wall mirror.
- Anna's Suite - The Bridal Suite
- This room comes with a queen-size bed, large private bath with a pedestal sink and a large 6-foot bathtub and shower, large wing-back chairs, beautiful 16th-century stained glass windows and a courtyard view.
- Chester's Suite
- "Rose Red" was named after the recent ABC/Disney mini-series filmed at Thornewood. It is located on the third floor and is the room closest to the large "Rose Red" Tower added to the roof just for the movie. This room has a KING-size four-poster cherry rice bed, original in-room sink, detached private bath with claw-foot tub and hand shower, beautiful 16th-century stain glass inserts, a lovely lake view, and of course the theme is "roses". In the hall just outside the door is a restored, large sky-light through which you can view some of the chimneys.
- Rose Red Suite
- This room comes with a QUEEN-size bed, original private bath with a soaking tub and shower, beautiful 16-century stained glass windows, and courtyard view.
- Lord Byron's Attic Suite
- The "Presidential Suite" received its name after its illustrious occupants President Theodore Roosevelt stayed at Thornewood for two weeks in this room and President William Howard Taft stayed for three days. This room features a four-poster "British Empire" king-size bed, a small Jacuzzi tub, an electric fireplace, and a stunning view of American Lake from one of its two large bay windows with 16th century stained glass inserts. There is a small in-room refrigerator and microwave. This room is Deanna's personal favorite. It also used to be the previous owners private bedroom.
- The Blue Room
- This suite features a king-size bed with a wood, leather and brass headboard. Private bath with garden soaking tub (antique cast iron, extra deep 5 ft. long), shower, desk, electric fireplace, beautiful 16th-century stained glass windows, view of lake/sunsets, tiled portico deck (for viewing garden and lake or having morning coffee), kitchen and breakfast nook, and a private hot-tub for two on the outside private deck.
- Presidential Suite
- The Suite for "Something Special or "Someone Special". The servants certainly did not live this way! Lord Byron's Suite is on the third floor, converted from the original servant's wing, and features a bedroom with a lake view, surround sound TV/DVD/VHS and a fabulous King-sized bed. There is a sitting room where you can have a romantic breakfast for two or ?. A heart-shaped Jacuzzi tub for two sets the mood for the evening and there is a separate double headed walk-in tile shower for two. The toilet and lavatory are in a separate room. The guest's are right, "photographs do not do this Suite justice"
- Grandview Suite
- This suite features European antique twin-beds, in-room original antique lavatory, lovely detached private bath with a tub and shower, beautiful 16-century stained glass windows, and garden view.
- Lord Byron's Attic Suite
- Lyoness, is a name taken from Avalon (in England) and the mythical time of King Arthur. When the mists rise from American Lake, you will swear you are in the country of King Arthur and the Lady of the Lake will raise the sword of Arthur at any moment. This apartment/suite adjoins the Castle and features a living area with wood burning fireplace and a deck with a wonderful lake view for relaxing and feeling the peace of another time and space or for watching a spectacular sunset. The bedroom has a queen size bed and a small dressing area is attached. Breakfast can either be delivered to your room, or you can have breakfast in the dining room of the Castle or prepare your own in the full kitchen of this apartment/suite. A key to the front door of the Castle is provided to you and you can wander the Castle and grounds at your leisure. The Lyoness is perfect for privacy and romance or just a restful, renewing experience.
- Lyoness Apartment/Suite
- The "Casa Blanca Suite", while not Victorian in decor, is unique with its rattan furnishings, KING-size mahogany bed, electric fireplace and its attached private and charming dining/kitchen area. Located on the third floor, it has a microwave, small refrigerator and of course a supply of "Bogart" movies. View rain drops falling, clouds passing by, snow falling, some of Thornewood's twelve chimneys, or on a clear night view the stars, all thru the largest sky-light available just outside your bedroom door at "Casa Blanca."
- The Gold Room
- Casa Blanca Suite
- Lakeside (2 Bedrrom Apt)
- Check-in: 00:00:04
- Check-out: 00:00:11
- Hotel Currency: USD (American Dollars)
Directions and Area Information
Credit Card Guarantee required for booking.
Cancellation policies vary. Contact property.