A Lover’s Paradise: Picturesque Weddings and Honeymoons
Over the years, St. Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) have become a popular choice for destination weddings and honeymoons. As a result, there are now a number of professional wedding coordinators, catering companies and photographers, along with a trusted network of reputable and reliable suppliers, whose combined experience and local knowledge ensure that the couple and their guests have ample time to relax and enjoy these lovely islands at their leisure. SVG possesses all of the necessary ingredients to ensure a perfectly romantic wedding day.
Top Three Reasons to Get Married/Honeymoon in SVG
- SVG’s off-the-beaten path location lacks busy crowds. Top notch private islands and boutique hotels means couples are retreating to ultimate romantic seclusion.
- Due to a lack of corporate colonization and chain hotels, a destination wedding in SVG is a truly authentic and personalized experience. Couples’ every need is catered to - there is no mass wedding production set-up in SVG. The private islands, Young Island Resort, Petit St. Vincent, and Palm Island have on-site wedding planners that cater to couples every whim, and wedding planners that offer personalized and unique wedding options.
- SVG offers couples a wealth of less-explored attractions and sites. In addition to great diving, sailing, and soft adventure, a trip to SVG means the ability to island hop between the Grenadines as well. Tobago Cays, Mayreau, and Union Island are off-the-beaten track must-see highlights.
There are countless venues from which to choose: sandy white beaches, a hilltop at sunset, sailing around a picturesque harbor, a lush tropical garden surrounded by colorful blooms, a charming island church, or even a deserted island --the choice is all yours.
SVG’s fascinating history stretches into the past for centuries, and much of it is still on display throughout the islands. What this means for betrothed couples: plenty of picturesque and timeless settings for saying “I do.” The main island of St. Vincent is home to the oldest botanical gardens in the Western Hemisphere. With wide lawns, tropical flora from around the world, and historical plants like St. Vincent’s original breadfruit tree, an event here is a perfect way to infuse the ceremony with the vibrant Vincentian culture.
The “Old Fort” in Bequia was built in the 18th century as a defense strategy against invaders; today, it is renowned as an historic plantation, offering panoramic views of the southern Grenadines. Thirty acres of tropical gardens surround the castle-like property’s six guestrooms, all decorated with Old World charm. Couples can choose to marry at the main mansion perched above the ocean, or enjoy a sunset hilltop ceremony.
Scenic Photo Spots
- Mopion: the quintessential deserted island, is empty, save for a thatched umbrella. This tiny sand bar perched atop a coral reef combines bright white sand and turquoise waters to create an idyllic setting for intimate weddings in paradise.
- Tobago Cays: This horseshoe shaped reef that shields five deserted islets, flourished with palm trees, is known as one of the best snorkelling and diving areas in the world. The cays have been declared a wildlife reserve by the government and to preserve this natural phenomenon, there’s absolutely no fishing, jet skies, or anchoring of dinghies allowed.
- Saltwhistle Bay: Saltwhistle Bay in Mayreau is a perfectly half-moon shaped beach outlined by palm trees and can be counted as the most beautiful beach in SVG. With only 250 residents, the island with no airports, no roads and no banks will offer couples an intimate getaway.
- Casuarina: Casuarina is a white sand beach that runs the entire length of Palm Island.
- Macaroni Bay: Macaroni Bay in the east coast of Mustique is one of the most popular beaches on the island. There is a covered picnic area for a relaxing, romantic experience.
Couples can be confident that the wedding planner/consultant that they work with in SVG will look after every detail. The list of services offered is extensive and includes arrangements for obtaining the wedding license, selecting a minister, providing witnesses, bridal bouquet, boutonnieres, floral arrangements, photographer, videographer, a traditional wedding cake, and for a special touch, a steel pan duet can be arranged to play at the wedding dinner.
The island’s rustic charm doesn’t outshine SVG’s modern wedding services, offering all the styles and sophistications found back at home—and, in most cases, without the lavish price tag. Recognized SVG wedding planners will walk couples (and agents, if they’re taking part in the planning of the ceremony) through a range of locations and other selection wedding packages that start with basics like a minister and marriage license, and end as extravagant as a fully inclusive wedding day cruise to the Tobago Cays.