The Meeting of the Great Rivers National Scenic Byway, located 20 minutes from St. Louis in Southwestern Illinois, is a place to rejuvenate the soul and relax the mind. The 33-mile stretch of byway which starts in Hartford, Illinois and spans to Pere Marquette State Park in Grafton, showcases some of the country’s most breathtaking scenery, overlooks and vistas while taking visitors on a journey through a time when things were much simpler. Antique shops, ice-cream parlors, quaint villages, and people with a welcoming spirit are all found next to the rolling waters of the Mississippi, Illinois and Missouri Rivers that converge alongside the byway.
The byway has brought people and Mother Nature together for generations, and with each passing season the relationship becomes richer. It’s a place where there is great respect for the river, the wildlife, the history and the people who have always cherished the beauty of the area. Historical significance largely shaped the byway region, attracting hundreds of visitors each year to read stories of our country’s heritage and view monuments dedicated to figures and places of importance. You will find festival after festival celebrating the cultural threads sewn by these great rivers.
Whatever the season, whatever your age or interests, the Meeting of the Great Rivers National Scenic Byway touches the heart of all who visit it, creating memories and stories for generations passed and for those to come. To plan your byway adventure, visit www.VisitAlton.com or call 1-800-ALTON-IL (258-6645).
- · Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center
- · National Great Rivers Museum
- · Melvin Price Locks & Dam
- · National Great Rivers Research & Education Center
- · Lincoln & Civil War Legacy Trail
- · Alton Historic Homes Driving Tour
- · Robert Wadlow – World’s Tallest Man
- · Legendary Piasa Bird
- · Principia College Architectural Tour
- · Riverlands Migratory Bird Sanctuary
- · Pere Marquette State Park
- · Two Rivers National Wildlife Refuge
- · Sam Vadalabene Bike Trail
- · Signature Gardens at Lewis & Clark Community College
- · 50+ miles of hiking & biking trails
- · …and more!
- · Alton Block Parties
- · Alton Muny Band Concerts in the Park
- · Godfrey Movies in the Park
- · Grafton Music in the Park
- · Carillon Concerts in the Rose Garden
- · 30+ free summer festivals!
Worth the Price of Admission
- · Lewis & Clark Confluence Tower
- · Alton Museum of History & Art
- · Raging Rivers Waterpark
- · Riverfront Amphitheater Summer Concert Series